Saturday, November 9, 2013

**Sidekick Showcase #19 ~ Ladies Man**


Sidekick Showcase (previously known as Sidekick Saturday) is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by Jaclyn at JC's Book Haven. There are many secondary characters that are as great as the primaries. In some cases, the sidekicks actually steal the show and you like them better than the heroine or hero. Maybe they didn't have enough page time for how great they were. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

• Choose a sidekick *or someone other than the hero or heroine* that you would like to put in the spotlight that fits in this week's type
• Share a picture (if possible) and information about the character
• Give the title and author of a book the character can be found in
• Please don't include too many spoilers when describing why the character is such a great sidekick
• Put your link in the Linky thing and comment


**********************************
This week, Jaclyn has chosen Ladies Man for the theme.

My pick is
Keenan, The Summer King
from Melissa Marr's Wicked Lovely series


Keenan is the Summer King, and one of the narrators in the series. His powers were bound by his mother, the Winter Queen Beira. So he's spent over 900 years seeking out the mortal girls he dreams of, hoping one will be his queen and release his powers. If he doesn't find his queen, he won't be able to wake summer, and the world will remain in constant winter. 

Since his quest is to find his queen, he spends most of his time wooing girls ~ kinda can't help being a ladies man. ;) He's gorgeous, charming, and very warm. And he keeps a harem...figuratively speaking. All the girls he's wooed become his Summer Girls, and he's responsible for taking care of them. Also, poor guy, he's actually in love with one of his Summer Girls, but because she wasn't his queen, he must continue in his quest. And once he finds the girl he believes to be his queen, he's quite single-minded in his pursuit.

“Keenan was staring at her, too intently for comfort. "I don't know why certain people shine for others. I don't know why you and not someone else." He gently pulled her forward and whispered, "But it's you I think of when I wake each morning. It's your face in my dreams."Aislinn swallowed. That would seem odd even if he were normal. And he wasn't. What he was-unfotunately-was completely serious.” -Keenan & Aislinn, Wicked Lovely
“Can I join you at lunch?" She paused. "You have every other day." He laughed, a sound as musical as the chiming song of the lupine fey when they ran. "Yes. But you resented it every other day." "What makes you think I won't resent it today?" "Hope. It's what I live on...” ― Keenan & AislinnWicked Lovely
“If you were my queen, truly my queen, our court would be stronger still. If you were mine , without mortal distractions, we'd be safer. We'd be stronger if we were truly together. Summer is a time to rejoice in pleasures and heat. When I'm around you, I want to forget everything else. I love Donia. I always will, but when I'm near you--" He stopped himself.” --Keenan to Aislinn, Fragile Eternity

10 comments:

  1. YAY Brandee! Keenan is an excellent choice. I love the Wicked Loveley series and wish there were more books coming in that one. The tattooed guys, the faeries and the magic is beautifully done.
    I haven't finished my Sidekick post yet, but I'll have it up tomorrow, I hope.
    How's your weekend going? Here, it's been beautiful sunny, cold and changing colors everywhere. I'm so tired though, and I have a huge test on Monday night - that I haven't even started studying for.
    Talk to you soon, Brandee. *hugs*
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I love that you've read this series, too, Lexxie. I'd love to compare our reading journals following Twilight to see all the books we've had in common prior to blogging. I know we certainly read so much of the same books now. :) Yep, I adore this series. I think Marr did such a great job with her worldbuilding and her characters are fantastic!

      My weekend has been nice so far. We're enjoying unseasonably warm weather ~ we're actually going hiking tomorrow. :) I hope you've carved out some study time for yourself but have also had some fun! 'See' you tomorrow, Lexxie!

      Oh, and let's do chat on fb soon! *hugs*

      Delete
  2. Ladies man is a great topic! Fun post, Brandee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea! This was a fun topic and I got to highlight a series I love! :)

      Delete
  3. This must have been a really hard week for you as the romance genre is literally littered with ladies men. Keenan's pickup and dumping lines must be epic since he has had so much practice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL It was kinda hard, Vilia! I kinda feel like I'm cheating on some of my favorites! LOL Yeah, you wouldn't believe what happens when he 'dumps' those poor girls! This is an excellent mature YA series. I loved it!

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness, this guy is good. He mentions hope, he's sad and lyrical and romantic. I just love the quotes. This was one of those series I always saw on the shelves and never picked up to see what it was about. Sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, Keenan's really, really good, Robyn. I'd suggest picking up this series from the library when you have a chance. It's one of the series I started following Twilight and I thought it was spectacular!

      Hope you're having a good weekend, Robyn! *hugs*

      Delete
  5. Wicked Lovely is such a great series. I haven't read Darkest Mercy yet. I'm so glad that you brought this series up because since it veered off into other characters, I got lost a bit in the series. I got really involved in this story because of exactly what you mentioned. Here's this guy that all the ladies love, except the one he's trying to get right now. You got these characters that are wanting other people but are 'destined' to be with each other. It's definitely a unique story with a whole lot of elements. Great choice!! Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read this series, but I'm liking the sounds of this Keenan! Ladies men are such fun characters in general and some of them (like Keenan apparently) have some killer one-liners. Fun post!

    ReplyDelete

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??