Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Brandee's Bookish Babble #23 ~ Long Books...Or Why I Keep Failing Certain Challenges


Welcome to Brandee's Bookish Babble. There are many, many similar posts to this one - but basically I wanted a place to discuss bookish and/or blogging stuff and I needed a title. :) So this is my new discussion feature.

***
I've noticed a trend in my reading habits where challenges are concerned. Well, lately I've not read much at all really BUT I was doing well each month of 2016. Keeping on target and getting those challenge books read. But both last year and this year, I failed and continue to fail at my Reading Assignment Challenge and I think I've figured out why...

Outlander. Game of Thrones. <-- Yep, those two titles. And maybe a few others but those two in particular. They were on my Reading Assignment list last year and I put them on the list again this year because I'm determined to read them. But...they're soooo long! And I keep thinking "But I could read 2 or 3 shorter books in that same time." It's terrible! What I seem to end up doing is the reading shorter books on my list and then when I get to the point where I only have those looong books left, I fail. Why?

Why do I seem afraid to dive into long books? I used to read lengthy books all the time. Have I become a product of the digital age whereby I want instant gratification? Is my attention span that much shorter? Have I become commitment phobic whereby I don't want to invest that much time in one set of characters? Is it because they're in paperback format and I'd prefer to read a book of that length on an ereader?

Obviously, I don't have the answer yet. I wondered if y'all might have some advice. Are y'all averse to longer books? Do you find yourself putting off reading something that's 800+ pages? Why? Or why not? Help me, please. I'd really like to pass my Reading Assignment Challenge next year! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??